Caching is a process of hierarchical storage of data so that once a user clicks on the content, it loads much faster the next time.
Doing this stores the data it receives from the data center to its server. Whenever the user visits that page or URL, it shows that stored data. If the content changes then it will run once again and save the new data.
Caching is everywhere if we only focus. Since it stores the information it receives for the first time. Our brain also catches information our eye receives and processes thoughts.
Caching is not just confined to a website. There are many other types of caching as well such as
- Data Caching
- Application Caching/Output Caching
- Distributed Caching
In simple words, caching saves a copy of a web page. The benefit of caching is that the next time you visit that page or website or let’s just say you reload the web page, it loads much faster.
You must have gotten the idea of caching and its benefits by now.
Technically, the details of caching can be pretty much complex, but the general idea is very simple. Let’s just say I ask you about a mathematical problem. Your brain will take some time to process the information for the result.
Now, if I ask you the same question again, you will instantly answer me because your brain had already gone through the process and knows the answer already.
The same is the case with caching. In the IT field, caching is an important and fundamental concept. Since caching makes things faster, so many software developers consider it essential.
Caching has a lot of importance in SEO. As Google considers page speed as an essential ranking factor, a website needs to load much faster. Because if it doesn’t, then website rankings drop to a great extent.
Developers make most websites through WordPress. The reason people choose WordPress is that it is SEO-friendly.
Best Free WordPress Caching Plugins
WordPress has rolled out many caching plugins to help websites load faster. Following is the list of plugins.
The first one is LiteSpeed Cache (LSCache). LiteSpeed Cache (LSCache) is a product of LiteSpeed server products, which is a built-in, high-performance dynamic content acceleration feature.
It is a free and open-source WordPress plugin that communicates with the LiteSpeed Web Server and LSWS’s built-in page cache to reduce page load times.
LS Cache not only speeds up PHP pages but also speeds up dynamic content with the same features as in Apache mod_cache. LSCache uses more efficient, highly customizable, native implementation within its server, resulting in quick page load and less server load.
LSCache provides faster and better handling of static content besides its outstanding handling of dynamic content. You can control the LiteSpeed Cache Engine by rewriting rules in htaccess of a web app’s document root.
So what do you get by utilizing an LSCache plugin?
It reduces the knowledge gap between a web app and the Cache Engine to none. Web applications have rules about what content might be reserved, for how long it very well might be stored, and what occasions would cause a cache object to get old.
It’s not just a cache-management plugin but comes with a variety of interesting features to speed up your WordPress sites.
It has multiple tabs, you can check every one of them individually.
- Free QUIC.cloud CDN Cache
- object Cache (Memcached/LSMCD/Redis) Support+
- Image Optimization (Lossless/Lossy)
- minify inline CSS/JS
- combine CSS/JS
- Automatically produce Critical CSS
- lazyload pictures/iframes
- responsive Image Placeholders
- multiple CDN Support+
- load CSS/JS Asynchronously
- browser Cache Support+
- database Cleaner and Optimizer
- PageSpeed score enhancement
- opcode Cache Support+
- HTTP/2 Push for CSS/JS (on web servers that help it)
- DNS Prefetch
- Cloudflare API
- single Site and Multisite (Network) support
- import/export settings
- attractive, straightforward interface
- WebP picture design support
- heartbeat control
LiteSpeed Cache is one of the best plugins to use for WordPress sites. As it speeds up your website loading and improves your web scores on Google PageSpeed Insights, GT matrix, etc.
Cache Enabler is another caching plugin that improves your overall site performance by boosting load time. It is pretty much simple, yet a powerful WordPress plugin that requires minimal configuration. Cache Enabler is a lightweight caching plugin developed by KeyCDN.
As mentioned earlier, Cache Enabler views and captures all the page contents and stores it on the server’s disk as a static HTML file. It converts inline-image URLs to WebP as a total separate static HTML file and compresses both static HTML files with Gzip. That static HTML file delivers to users with no queries.
- lA fast and productive cache engine
- Automattic savvy cache clearing
- Manuel cache clearing
- WP-CLI cache clearing
- cache expiry
- cache size show in the WordPress dashboard
- WordPress multi-site network support
- WebP support (convert pictures to WebP with Optimus)
- Gzip pre-pressure support
- Custom post sort support
- 304 Not changed support
- Works impeccably with Autoptimize and most other outsider modules
Cache Enablers is one of the best free WordPress plugins you can have to improve your web performance.
WP fastest cache is both free and premium WordPress caching plugin. Its free version is pretty decent with much functionality. Its premium version requires a one-time fee that can viewed from the WP Fastest Cache settings module. Emre Vona developed it.
The settings are pretty simple, include a list of checkboxes with information about each setting. You can integrate CDN with an easy configuration. Image optimization is taken care of separately, besides caching. It also comes up with a feature to create a specific mobile theme cache.
- Mod_Rewrite which is the quickest technique used in this module
- All store records are erased when a post or page is distributed
- Admin can erase all stored records from the alternatives page
- Block store for explicit page or post with Short Code
- Cache Timeout—All reserved records are erased at the definable time
- Cache Timeout for explicit pages
- Enable/Disable reserve choice for cell phones
- Enable/Disable reserve choice for signed in clients
- SSL support
- CDN support
- Cloud-flare support
- Preload Cache—Create the store of all the site naturally
- Exclude pages and client specialists
- WP-CLI reserve clearing
WP Fastest Cache has currently over 1 million downloads with over 56K followers. It is one of the best caching plugins you can have for your site.
The 2-minute setup plugin comes in the lite and pro versions. It is developed by WebSharks, Inc. A lite version offers one site license while the Pro version offers 3 websites. However, its other Pro version offers unlimited sites and its price varies.
Though the pro version is preferred by many users for its automation, the Lite version does almost the same but for some tasks, it requires manual handling. It can allow a double-cache, which means the browser can cache the cache for extra speed. It takes a screenshot of all the WordPress components which can be referenced later.
While its pro version is too powerful, the lite version is also very simple. Don’t get confused with the word lite as it performs significantly better than most of its competition. If you need a simple, yet powerful cache plugin, then comet cache is the right choice for you.
The lite version comes up with the set of following features:
- Very Simple and reported setup
- Options for programmed reserving conduct of WordPress segments
- URI avoidance designs (presently supporting special cases as well).
- User-Agent prohibition designs (presently supporting special cases as well).
- HTTP referred to avoidance designs (presently supporting trump cards as well).
- The capacity to set a programmed lapse time for reserve records.
- Client-Side Caching (to permit twofold storing in the customer side program).
- Caching for 404 solicitations to diminish the effect of those solicitations on the worker.
- RSS, RDF, and Atom Feed storing.
- The capacity to store or disregard URLs that contain question strings (GET Requests).
- Apache Optimizations to empower GZIP Compression.
- WP-CLI Compatibility.
- An Advanced Cache Plugin framework for topic and module designers.
Download the plugin and let it do the rest for you.
W3 Total Cache is one of the famous free WordPress caching plugins. It is developed by BoldGrid. This plugin has currently over a million installs and integrates with a CDN. It works fine with mobile sites and desktop sites.
W3 Total Cache boots your website speed and improves the user experience by optimizing the site’s performance for SEO and reduces load time with features like CDN integration. W3 Total Cache is the only plugin that is trusted by millions of publishers, web developers, and web hosts globally for more than a decade. A complete optimum solution for your WordPress Website performance.
It’s a totally free caching plugin that provides all the important caching plugins you require to keep your site fast and optimized. The benefit of having this plugin is because it is compatible with many hosting options such as dedicated servers, shared hosting, and clusters.
It also provides caching for mobile settings as well. It provides e-commerce stores a boost with SSL support. The CDN works with the media library so that you can view how well your pictures are being enhanced.
It provides the minification and compression along with caching of the database, objects on your disk, and posts. It also provides support for Object caching.
- Viable with shared hosting, virtual private/dedicated servers, and committed servers/clusters
- Straightforward content delivery network (CDN) handling with Media Library, topic documents, and WordPress itself
- Mobile help: separate reserving of pages by referred or gatherings of client specialists including topic exchanging for gatherings of referrers or client specialists
- Speed up Mobile Pages (AMP) support
- Secure Socket Layer (SSL) support
- Storing of (minified and compacted) pages and posts in memory or on a disk or on (FSD) CDN (by client specialist bunch)
- Storing of feeds (site, classifications, labels, remarks, list items) in memory or on the disk or on CDN
- Reserving of indexed lists pages (for example URIs with inquiry string factors) in memory or on disk
- Storing of data set articles in memory or on disk
- Storing of articles in memory or on the circle
- Storing of parts in memory or on the circle
- Storing techniques incorporate neighborhood Disk, Redis, Memcached, APC, APCu, eAccelerator, XCache, and WinCache
- Minification of posts and pages and RSS channels
- Minification of inline, implanted, or outsider CSS with mechanized updates to resources
- Concede offscreen pictures using Lazy Load to improve the client experience
- Program storing using reserve control, future end headers, and element labels (ETag) with “store busting”
- Import post connections straightforwardly into the Media Library (and CDN)
- Influence our different CDN reconciliations to advance pictures
- WP-CLI support for store cleansing, question string refreshing, and the sky is the limit from there
- Different security highlights to help guarantee site wellbeing
- Reserving measurements for execution bits of knowledge of any empowered element
- Expansion system for customization or extensibility for Cloudflare, WPML, and significantly more
- Switch intermediary combination through Nginx or Varnish
Optimize your site by improving your site’s user experience without changing WordPress, theme, or the way you create content.